Thursday, November 28, 2019

Morning Thoughts

My morning “routine” in El Salvador starts with getting up about an hour before my roommates (not hard to rise before your roommate when it’s Quinn), grab a coffee and head to the upper meeting room. 

I look at one of Gods’ wonders that is the San Vincente volcano and the cloud hat it wears in the morning get slowly burned off by the sun and think it’s going to be another beautiful and hot day in the making, just perfect for outside work!

I watch the pupusa stand across the street open for business, I wonder could I ever be able to crank out pupusas as fast as she can (probably not), I wish I could walk across the street and ask her to show me, maybe even try one? (Sure to make me sick) I wonder about the family that runs it, I assume they are just trying to do the best for their family and what are their hopes and dreams?

I love observing the weekday in San Vicente come to life - motorcycles buzzing, trucks & cars honking, city buses sort of like ours only much more decorated & beat up, then there are these pickup trucks with the backs caged in (like we ride out to the builds) that are packed with people, people hanging off the back, people of all stripes. On the way to the builds as we wind our way through town I watch people working roadside stands selling food, opening up stores that often also house their homes in the back, taking their kids to school, taking a pickup truck full of goats somewhere? They are just people trying to make a living, to do the best for their families and future, with hopes and dreams, just like us. 

Sure, there’s a few not so great things to see as well but it’s completely overwhelmed by the beauty that is El Salvador and it’s the many small beauties that I try to take in and appreciate.

After all this pondering and observing it is off to the builds where there will be more opportunities to see God at work .

-Jason

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts Jason! I love your descriptions :) I can picture it! Love how you are seeing God at work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Jason. Its so easy for us to see all the differences, but we really all are so much more alike than different...except maybe for the number of pickups with goats and people hanging on for dear life! - Erin.

    ReplyDelete