Monday, October 10, 2011

The first day is always the hardest day. It is so hot. Hotter than you can even anticipate. We are not building so their is little physical effort, but it is challenging. A lot of times I found myself wondering how I got here. Riding on the back of the truck, careening down the streets teeming with activity, I at once feel completely at home and somewhat in shock of my surroundings. We visited the people we will build for today. That is always a treat. I try to make immediate contact. A touch on the arm, a smile, a hug. It is never unwelcome. The moment I lay my hand on their arm they grasp at mine. We share something. They know they are valuable and I know they are valuable. I see them. Do we not all long to be seen? To be known? To at least feel someone else cares?
One house we are building will be for a mother and her 5 children. When asked where her husband was she was overcome with emotion telling us that he passed away a year ago. Her pain became our pain as we listened and tried to convey our sypathy. A hug did not seem to suffice. The extra squeeze on her arm did not appease my desire to talk with her, weep with her. It was hard. I trust that the holy spirit whispered our prayers into her heart and offered a measure of comfort.
We had the honor to pray with a family whose daughter is in the hospital with severe, life threatening burns. To be able to share prayers, and tears with this family was a gift from the Lord. Our hearts were joined in sorrow and hope, and though there was little else to do it was enough.
Oh how mighty is our Lord. His heart is all consuming.
Joy and Joe

3 comments:

  1. Wow, you are doing what the lord wants you are amazing keep it up

    love you -bri

    ReplyDelete
  2. why do you keep saying JOy and Joe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. because I am blogging for the both of us :)

    ReplyDelete