Thursday, November 29, 2018

Random Thoughts from Jason

Having spoken with Pat at great length about his experiences I felt like I was coming into this somewhat prepared.  Now having experienced the build and the emotions of helping families I realize that I was not at all prepared for how I would feel and I’m still not sure how this will impact me when it’s over.

It’s amazing to see an entire community come out and help, whether they are getting a house or not.  In a world that can seem at times a bit self centred and isolated it’s very inspiring to see neighbours rally for each other and believe that a few families getting this blessing will improve the whole community.

A roof that leaks constantly or a house that we cannot lock and feel secure in - how might our Canadian lives be if we had to be concerned about those thing? What if you helped someone get those basics? What else might they then be able to do for their families and communities? 

I was thinking before and during this trip why not just make an online donation to Shelter, go back to watching Netflix and let Salvadorenos build the houses, wouldn’t that create jobs, wouldn’t that be better? Matt, one of my roommates had the opportunity to speak to one of our great Salvadoran translators about just that topic and it turns out that it does mean a lot to the Salvadorenos that we do take the time to come down here and do this, it’s a very memorable experience for them and as a result, the experience of getting a house means that much more.

My own room, ice cold beverages, a hot shower with good water pressure, seat belts, etc - pretty much most of that is not happening here. Believing that we are here to make a difference and appreciating how the people we are helping live their lives (without most of what we take as given) gives me the perspective to live without (for now).

Pupusas are my new favourite food.

Glad Karen did not make me yelp when putting antiseptic on my cut. Thanks Karen!

Jason

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Jason! Great thoughts! Hope you are healing well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to every part of this post but the favourite food. Thanks for sharing, Jason!

    ReplyDelete