Friday, November 30, 2018

Compassion Day


Yesterday was the first time we have ever spend the whole day at the hotel. It was a nice break from riding in the truck and long hot days on the work sites. I for one was very grateful. 

We hosted the compassion children here for the day, and it was so amazing to be a part of. I personally didn't have a sponsor child here, so I wasn't really sure how involved I could be. But to my surprise, even those of us without sponsor children seemed to have found our place, making conversation with the kid's parents and grandparents. My dad and I sat at a table with Deve and Amanda and their 3 sponsor children. It was really interesting to meet the grandmother. She was really something. She knew we couldn't speak or understand Spanish, but she just talked and talked and talked some more. Even without any understanding we could tell that she is such a kind hearted, loving, caring person, and she has a solid faith in Jesus Christ. 

My favourite part of the visit though, had to be at the very beginning when the kids were being introduced, and re-introduced to their sponsors. One by one they called their names as their sponsor was walking up the stairs to meet them. Those of us without children got to go up first to take pictures, and in doing that we were able to see every reaction. Big smiles, tears of joy, high fives, and the most heartfelt hugs and embraces. I was in tears. I didn't even have a child there and I was in tears. If seeing these reunions had this much of an effect on me, I can only imagine what the children and sponsors were feeling. 

I decided to sponsor a child that day. Her name is Samary, and she is 4 years old. It is something I have been praying about for some time now. And seeing first hand how each sponsor has impacted their child's life just confirmed it for me. This is something that makes a difference. This is something that I need to be a part of.  

Brittany

2 comments: