Saturday, January 14, 2023

Unforgettable

 Helping out here has felt so good! I’ve gotten to use a drill, and several other tools that I’d never even heard of before this. 

     Playing with the kids after our jobs are done has been one of my favorite parts of building these houses. People have brought things like colouring books, balls for catch, and frisbees. I also brought some stuff to braid some hair.

      The past couple days, we’ve had close to 20 kids playing frisbee with us - they loved it!! They were invited to come join our soccer game afterwards, and a lot of them did. While some played, others hung back to color. Julia and I got to braid a few girls’ hair too! It was a very nice, relaxing break.

     Today we took a trip to a high-up lookout, with a gorgeous view of the mountains. It was nothing like I’d ever seen before and something I won’t forget.

     We also got to go to a market where we got some souvenirs and stuff. Apparently something that everyone has to do there is visit the “cheese corner.” However, I highly recommend you don’t. We were asked a few times if our noses were stuffed because smelling was going to be part of it. I was initially looking forward to it…people seemed to be saying good things about it, like it smelled nice there. Welp it didn’t. I couldn’t breathe without gagging, and then to escape it we had to also pass some raw meat and fish. So, yeah…don’t go there. 

     I can’t believe we’re leaving tomorrow! It still feels like we just got here. I remember on the first building day, it was horribly hot. I couldn’t wait to leave. But we’ve built such good connections with the families since then, it’s sad to say goodbye. 

     One of the little girls we befriended gifted Lily and I with a small bag of cucumbers. That was a really special thing and a much bigger deal than I realized at first; for her to give us something that was probably a lot more significant to her than it usually is for us. 

     She was a very sweet girl whom I won’t be forgetting anytime soon…this whole experience has been something unforgettable.


Abby

3 comments:

  1. Abby, what a wonderful experience God has blessed you with...one that will certainly be reflected in future discussions and decisions. May you continue to have a heart to serve Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Abby, it’s so nice to hear your stories and to see the Lord at work in your life. I pray that as you continue to draw near to Jesus and make yourself available, that many will come to know His love for them through your life ♥️

    ReplyDelete
  3. So great to read your thoughts Abby, I love that you were able to serve and experience this!

    ReplyDelete